first, i want to thank everyone for the kind comments and helpful suggestions on my previous post. i’ve been so busy and haven’t posted an update, but i saw all of your comments in a timely manner and i wanted you to know that they mean a lot to me. thanks!!
finley has been on a bit of a roller coaster since then, but i think he’s heading towards healthy now. i mentioned in my last post that he was scheduled for a follow-up at his regular vet "on wednesday," which was last week… but on tuesday night he was clearly in distress (after many days of seeming just fine), so we got very nervous and took him to the ER again. he wasn’t blocked, but he was having a lot of trouble and i just felt so bad for him. the ER doctor said they could cath him for 36 hours but i wasn’t sure we wanted to do that because he wasn’t actually blocked, and also i had really been hoping to get him through to the next day so we could take him to his regular doctor. in the end they re-prescribed another 4-day round of anti-inflammatory meds and also started him on a 10-day round of antibiotics. we brought him home that night and held our breath until our vet appointment the next afternoon.
at that appointment they palpated his bladder (and he peed, whoops! but at least that meant no blockage), and they took x-rays to get a look at his kidneys and check for stones. they also took a look at a urine sample and found some struvite crystals. his kidneys looked fine and there were no stones visible on the x-ray, so we took him back home with an empty bladder and a new prescription dry food to bring down the extremely high pH in his urine (he was at 9.0).
unfortunately, that night was awful. even though his bladder was empty, he was trying and trying and trying to pee for 90 minutes straight and he was freaking me out. we debated taking him to the ER again, but once he finally peed an okay amount around 12.30am we decided to wait for morning and call the vet at 7.30am when they opened. we ended up taking him back right away that morning and this time they wanted to hang onto him for the day. he wasn’t blocked, but he also wasn’t emptying his bladder on his own. so, poor kitten spent last thursday at the doctor’s office, bummed and a little scared. they gave him a pain med and also an anti-spasmodic to help him relax in the hopes that he would start to try and go again.
they palpated his bladder a few times during the day and in the afternoon they finally got a "good" amount. he didn’t want to eat anything while he was there (canned or dry), but the score in the afternoon was encouraging, so they decided he could come home for the night and see how it went. they sent us home with a NEW prescription food (this one actually dissolves struvite crystals as well as lowering his pH) to use for two weeks, and we also bought a water fountain.
as soon as he got home that night he wanted to eat, which was a good sign. he didn’t try to use the litterbox until he’d been home for about 4 or 5 hours, but then when he went, it was good stuff. heh. he continued to improve during the weekend, and he’s doing pretty well right now. he’s on a very similar pee schedule as our other cat, matching him pretty well in frequency and amount, so i’m taking that as a move toward urinary tract health.
the only hitch of late is that once yesterday and once today, he has stood with all four feet in the litterbox, but peed on the edge of the box instead of into it. yesterday i decided it might have been an accident, but when it happened again today i wasn’t so sure. i talked to his vet a little while ago and she said it’s okay to give him a reduced dose of the anti-inflammatory meds tonight, so maybe that will give him a little boost if things are becoming somewhat uncomfortable again.
other than that, his appetite is good, he’s drinking pretty well, and he’s feisty and silly. all good things!